Thursday 9 December 2010

Snowfall - Penshaw Hll (Part 2)

This is the second and last part of my visit to Penshaw Monument, which is perched on Penshaw Hill on the outskirts of Sunderland. Whilst taking in the stunning views from the top of the hill, I noticed that the greenhouses on Penshaw Farm were caved in due to the heavy snow. The steel framework has very thin plastic covering so it never stood a chance, so I imagine Mr Green and the boys have their work cut out to repair the damage. The nursery consists of two greenhouses, each around 100 feet long, and I imagine most of his stock is now wiped out. A real shame, although as I strain my eyes I notice the adjacent tea rooms are full of punters - hopefully eying up his walls that are covered with my framed prints, he he.

The main road that runs past the Monument, from Penshaw to Sunderland, is full of crawling traffic. Yes, the roads are a pain in the arse once again and drivers are going down the sensible route (no pun intended) by using their heads and not pushing their luck, like some of the idiots you occasionally encounter.

Me and my son Christopher (9) join in the crowds on Penshaw Hill as we enjoy some sledging. We each take tus and it's a blast. I temporarily lose control as the sledge deviates from its normal path and cuts across the snow cleared steps, giving me a very sore arse in the process. It was just as well that the little fella was next up, as it gave me a chance to recover as the 'Pain in the arse' subsided. Speaking of Pains in the arse, I must remember to call in at the Mother In Law's on the way home, he he, only joking, Norma!

The sledging comes to an abrupt end during my next ride! Yes, the sledge snaps in half and the little fella isn't too happy. The crowd enjoyed it and I laughed myself - what else can ya do, eh.

So that was it - back to the car and to grab some much needed heat. After a few minutes we were back out and I took a couple of snaps on a short path next to Penshaw Hill. Here they are.

Until the next time...
Ash