Friday 12 March 2010

Canon 7D - Those First Impressions

Hello again folks!
I thought I'd take the opportunity today to let you know how I'm getting on with my new camera. Up until 2010 I'd used Nikon camera's, ranging from standard SLR through to digital SLR. The decision to jump ship and invest in a model from the Canon stable wasn't one that was taken lightly, but it was taken anyway and I've got to say with hindsight that it was a very good one.

It was a combination of reasons that made me switch sides, so to speak, the main one being the need to hike the resolution, which was previously 10.2MP on the Nikon, in order to achieve much bigger prints. Well, a RAW image shot at highest resolution (18MP) pulls in single exposures at a massive 50 Megabytes. All I need now is the large format printer...he he.
I've been very surprised at the quality of photos that've come out of the 7D, which uses an absolutely stuffed 18 megapixel, APS-C sized sensor. (So, there is a 1.6x crop factor.) I've printed a handful on A3 paper and the detail is outstanding. There's lots of impressive features on this camera and I'll not bore you rigid with the spec, just keep dropping by to see the results here on my blog and also on my website. This camera is just the job, and I feel that I'm just warming up at the minute - just wait until the weather warms up too!

With low-light photography being a favourite of mine I've been giving the camera a few tests here and there. So far, so very good. Infact, that's an understatement because the quality of images shot in almost pitch dark using a 100 ISO have been brilliant. No noise for me. The Angel shot (below) was taken in almost pitch darkness on 'Bulb' setting, using a shutter speed of almost one minute! The detail is outstanding, if I may be so bold...he he.

Mind you, I was out and about last weekend with the camera and the battery grip was attached, so it was well heavy as you can imagine. A few hours of 'hand-held' and my fingers were beginning to look more like pigs tits! I had 'Canon Claw' for two bloody days!!!
The pro's and con's eh.

Aye well, thanks for popping over.
I'll be back again shortly.
Ash