Saturday 4 May 2013

Durham Cathedral - Part 2 of 2

Following on from my last instalment, here is Part 2 of my Durham Cathedral blog for May 2013. Part 1 focused on a daytime visit to the Cathedral, but this time it's the low-light night shots that I bring you, captured from the same viewpoint. As an added extra, there's a few bonus shots of Durham Cathedral up close, as I ended my outing with a drive into the City where I parked up at Palace Green, directly in front of the Cathedral. It was a calm night with almost clear sky, give or take the odd scattering of cloud overhead. In fact, it was ideal for photography so all that remained was the task of pulling in some decent shots, again, beginning at the lofty viewpoint near the Botanical Gardens. As I set my gear up the sky had took on a dark blue hue, which can be seen in my first shot, a panoramic effort, where Penshaw Monument can be seen once again to the left of the frame, highlighted by the surrounding street lamps. Below the Monument is Durham Castle, illuminated and standing alongside the Cathedral, which is clearly the focal point and dominates the shot. My second shot, shown here, is a similar composition which I took approximately fifteen minutes later. The sky has taken on a different colour altogether here, and works just as effectively, although I prefer the first shot out of the two.

The last four shots were taken in the Cathedral grounds, as mentioned earlier, and by this time the sky was literally pitch black. As a backdrop to the warm tones in the stonework I think this works really well and blends in well with the shadows on the facade. I was running with 15 second exposures by this time, longer on other shots, just to compare the results before settling with a rigid shutter speed on my final few exposures. The moon shone above the Cathedral, so I included it to add a touch of atmosphere to the shots, which finished them off nicely. There must have been a hymn service in progress as quite a few visitors entered the Cathedral, then some half an hour later dozens of them left through the main door as I photographed from the pathway. I waited a while until the coast was clear then resumed. Another distraction came in the shape of a remote control Gyro- Copter! Bloody hell - what next! The guy controlling it seemed to getting plenty of attention from passers by and even flew the craft straight into my shot, as it rose to the top of the main tower before hovering in a static position. I went over and had a quick chat with him and he said the Copter had a built in camera which was filming the view below. His mobile phone was linked up to it and he was looking forward to reviewing the footage once he'd landed his toy. Not being that interested, I headed back to
my camera, which was stood a few feet away, then packed it away in my bag before 'Doing a runner.'

So, there it is folks, another blog entry behind me, with plenty more to come. So, as Saturday night is almost at a close, I bid thee farewell once again. Until of course, the next time...
Ta ta, Ash