Friday 21 January 2011

Newcastle Quayside, Revisited

I'm back again, bringing you more drivel about my exploits behind the lens. Well, lately I've been updating my image stock library of Newcastle Quayside, as I have a couple of idea's in the pipeline which I'll be putting together in the next couple of weeks. Because of this, I've been making regular trips to Newcastle during the last month or so after a lengthy absence. The Forbidden City and it's Quayside area is great for photography, as I have probably mentioned before, and low-light work is usually the most effective route to take because of there's so many illuminated points of interest down there.

With the help of Teal Farm Photography I managed to loan a Tamron 55-200mm lens for my trip to Newcastle Quayside earlier tonight. It's a sound peice of kit - just what I need for a shot that needs transferring from my head to the memory card. I know what I'm after, but my bog standard 18-55 job won't cut the mustard for this one. I need to bring those Tyne Bridges right in, filling the frame. I was hoping for a decent sky as a backdrop - as it turned out, it wasn't bad at all!

Not many Geordies about tonight. The place is rather quiet for a Friday. Maybe they're all through Sunderland buying half-season tickets (wink). Anyway, time to test out the Tamron glass, so I'm set up on the Millennium Bridge facing west, towards the Tyne Bridge. The sun had been down for almost an hour by this time, but there were still a few traces of colour in the sky. I'm off and running with my first shot (above), which is all about symmetry. I like this one - it was finally out of my head and now recorded on the card. Mind you, I had to wait long enough to get it! The amount of double decker buses crossing the Tyne Bridge was neebody's business. I didn't fancy one o' them wrecking the shot so I waited til the first bus went off at yon end, only for another one to enter the bridge at the other side - then another, and another, and another. I've heard the one about the Number 10 bus, but this was a prime example of taking the p1ss!!!!! Got there eventually though (smile).

From the same spot on the Millennium Bridge I decided to switch lenses and drop right back for some wide-angle shots, taking in the arch right in front of me, using a Canon 10-22 wide. Again the 'Blinking Eye' was changing colour every ten seconds or so, giving me choices, which are shown here in shots two and three.

With numb fingers once again I made my way off the Millenium Bridge and onto the north side of the River Tyne, more commonly known as the Quayside. This was where I took my last shot (shown here, number four). I cropped this one and got shot of the unwanted. It looks almost panoramic and certainly more effective than the original composition.

Finally, can I say a big THANK YOU to Nagzy, who taught me all I know about photography (wink). His wealth of information has been invaluable to me and I can't thank him enough. He certainly talks a great photograph! I tell you folks, what Nagzy don't know about White Balance just aint worth knowing in the first place. He knows more about ISO settings than I know about Vindaloo...seriously! And hey, if ya wanna aquaint yersel with camera Histograms then Nagzy is the boy to consult - oh yes indeedy. Anyway, Nagz - when is our next trip 'In the field', as it were?

More stuff in the next couple of days, folks. Thanks for visiting A.C's blog once again.
Cheers, Ashley Crumb