Friday 9 July 2010

Canvas Prints

Hello again pop-pickers!
Well it has been 'Full On' in the printing department lately, mainly due to my recent expansion into canvas gallery wraps. I'd done a fair bit of research into canvas production and it seemed like a natural progression from standard paper printing, so I decided to dip my toes in.

As you may have already read on a previous blog entry of mine, I got my hands on a large format Epson printer (Stylus Photo 4000) along with several rolls of Epson printable media, including Premium Glossy, Water Resistant Canvas & Hannemuhle Photo Rag. Each roll is 17" wide and the custom 'User Defined' settings will allow a panoramic print of several feet in length, if required.

Running with genuine Epson K3 Ultrachrome ink carts, I was quite looking forward to seeing what results came off the printer and I certainly wasn't disappointed. An A2 print measuring approximately 25x17 inches took approximately 8 minutes to complete and the results were stunning! Delivering a wide colour gamut (range), these K3 carts were very much the 'Doggies Danglers' and the fine detail in the print was one that I hadn't previously achieved, even printing on smaller media such as A3.

Once the print jobs were complete I then laminated them with Giclee varnish before framing each one on machine cut fir stretcher bars. The canvases were then hung on the wall and it was great to see the finished work in all it's glory, so to speak. Mind you, they weren't on the wall for long - the first 8 were all bought by one person and it's time to set to work again and produce another batch for the various outlets I'm currently selling my work in. It's all time consuming but I wouldn't have any other way to be honest. It's great to know my work is out there and hanging on Joe Public's walls around the region and much further afield. My 'Penshaw Poppies' canvas was sold to someone in Australia a couple of weeks ago. Who's have thought it, eh.

Anyway, stay tuned for more canvas updates.

Thanks, Ash