Friday 23 April 2010

Spectacular Sunsets

Unless you've been on another planet during the last ten days or so you'll have
probably heard about the volcanic eruptions in Iceland, which has sent huge clouds of ash our way. According to news reports the micro fine particles of dust from the ash cloud are reflecting in an abnormal manner in the sky. So when the sun goes down the reflection of these particles makes the sunset more spectacular.

Well I haven't seen much of these 'Spectacular Sunsets' on my travels during the last few days. Well, there's been the odd nice sunset up here but nothing special. Maybe I missed all the action when I was sitting in the house gorging on Indian takeaways!

Last Friday night I headed off to the Angel Of The North in the hope of seeing one of these fine sunsets. I thought a silhouette of the Angel against a sunset backdrop would work well, so off I went. When I got to the location the car park was stuffed! It was obvious there were a lot of other folk up here for a nice sunset, but although there was quite a bit of cloud kicking about I wasn't expecting much in the way of a great sunset. I eventually got parked along the far end of the car park and made my way towards the Angel. When I got there, as I expected, there were lots of of photographers kitted up and ready to go. It was a case of jostling for position without p*ssing anyone off. Aye, it's a bummer when you set up stall and some tit walks right in front of you and sets his own gear up. You're then thinking to yourself 'Ere mate, can ya shift out me way afore ah wrap that tripod aroond ya skinny neck' !!!

As the sun went down there was a young couple sitting on a nearby bank, taking in the view. I took a photograph of them and waited for the colours in the sky to show, which they usually do shortly after sunset. After about 15 minutes a few photographers packed up and disappeared. I waited a while longer in case the colours got better. A couple of times in the past I've left a scene too early and the sky suddenly burst into colour, so I wasn't gonna make the same mistake this time.

Well, that was about it. Nothing spectacular tonight and although it was a decent sunset it wasn't what I and quite a few others had hoped for. I hung around and took a few more
photo's before walking back to the car. Never mind. Maybe next time...

Ash