Saturday 2 January 2010

Boxing Day Dip 2009 - Sunderland

Sunderland's annual Boxing Day Charity Dip takes place at Seaburn, which is situated a couple of miles outside the City Centre. As expected, there were hundreds of participants - rather them than me! I mean, I don't mind contributing to good causes but the idea of running into a freezing cold North Sea isn't one that appeals to soft buggers like me. With the event kicking off at 11.00am prompt, I was cutting it fine when I got caught in Seaburn-bound traffic on Thompson Park Road at 10.40am. I got through it eventually and managed to park my car behind the Seaburn Centre before making my way onto Seaburn beach with just a couple of minutes to go before the stampede. I had me rather naff green wellies on so that I could wade in and grab some decent shots, which is what I did. A couple of rather brave lads wearing Newcastle United dressing gowns ran past me and I nearly got knocked to the groond when I tried to trip the 'Black n' whites' up. Me camera almost bit the dust too, but the neck strap saved me bacon as I had it wrapped round me wrist - phew!

Anyway, by the time the dippers had left the sea behind and retreated to the warm Seaburn Centre, I was quite soaked and quite cold - very cold infact. Me feet felt like two blocks 'o ice. That was me whack. Back to the car and a belated appointment with the heaters!
Who knows, next year I might brave the elements and take part in the dip itself. Ahem (cough), then again...

Ash (still trying to get warmed up - 7 days later) he he.