Wednesday 5 June 2013

Littlehaven Sunrise, South Shields

A rarity from me - a summer sunrise photograph by Ashley Corr. This has to be the earliest time of day that I've gone out with the camera, of that I'm certain. Winter time is when I regularly shoot sunrises, due to the fact that there's no need to get out of bed during silly hours, which can't be a good thing. So, what made me shoot a Summer sunrise at 5.00am, you may be asking yourself. Well, I'd slept for a few hours during the day, followed by a few more hours at night, then awoke at 4.00am and couldn't get back to sleep. That was it - up and out with the camera. I drove down to Roker Beach, expecting the sun to rise behind the pier, as it usually does, but that is during the Winter months and today was very different. The early morning colour on the horizon gave a clear indication as to where the sun was about to rise, and it was nowhere near Roker Pier, but this is Summer, so the sun was about to rise further North, up the coast. With little time to spare before sunrise, I made the short journey to Littlehaven Beach, South Shields, where the sun was ready to rise over Tynemouth. I took up position in the sand dunes at Littlehaven and waited for some colour in the sky. It wasn't long before that happened. There wasn't a soul around, which was perfectly understandable. Only idiots get out of bed to photograph a sunrise at 5.00am!!

Here are three photographs. The first was taken shortly before sunrise. The second one shows the sun peeping over the low cloud cover, shortly after sunrise. The final shot, which is my favourite of the three, shows the sun over the cloud, as it shoots a ray of orange across the North Sea towards the dunes. Hey, maybe I'm not such an idiot after all. These shots were worth getting out of bed for, but somehow I don't think I'll be making a habit of it until Winter arrives once again. 
AC