Monday 26 December 2011

Boxing Day Dip 2011, Sunderland

I was in two minds whether to bother with this one. It's been a while since I updated my Event Coverage section at ashleycorr.com so that was one good reason to turn out, but the blustery winds were in danger of getting the better of my indecision. I decided to man-up and get myself down to the coast at Seaburn, Sunderland to photograph my second Boxing Day Dip - the first one I covered was 2009 and a brief blog write up of the event can be found here. Cut and pasted from the online Sunderland Echo newspaper - 14th October, 2011 - It's time to get ready for Sunderland’s 2011 Boxing Day Dip. Hundreds of hardy souls with more charity than sense brave the freezing waters of the North Sea at Seaburn every year in Sunderland Lions Club’s event. This will be the 37th Dip and entries are already coming in – so don’t hang about in getting your form in or you might miss out. Lions spokeswoman Anne Fielding “Last year, 875 dippers took the plunge at Seaburn, raising £60,958 for some 69 different charitable organisations. “Just how brilliant is that? We look forward to this year’s dip being equally successful.”
From penguins and superheroes to characters from Star Wars and Alice in Wonderland, fund-raisers donned a range of wacky costumes for last year’s event. Club president Pam Oliver will make history this year when she dons a sexy lion costume to become the first president to enter the water.





I left the house quite early, giving myself ample time travel to Seaburn and get parked without any delays in time for the 11.00am start. I wish all event coverage was as easy as this one - I got in and out with no problems whatsoever, and even got parked on the doorstep, so to speak. After the event I even had time to grab a nice tray of chips from the shop on Seaburn Promenade, which was empty when I walked in! But enough of that - here a a few photographs I took during this cold, windy day. Well worth the effort though, looking back. To view a full slideshow of 26 images from this event click here.

Cheers, Ash