Friday 11 February 2011

Durham By Night

With a couple of hours to kill I made an early evening mid-week trip along the A690 towards Durham City - Land Of The Prince Bishops. This would be my first visit to Durham Cathedral with my recently aquired Canon 10-20mm wide angle lens, so I was looking forward once again to seeing more results via the new glass.

The change in temperature was very noticable as another Spring season seems to be nudging ever closer. The walk from Prince Bishops Car Park to the Cathedral was a short one, taking no more than five minutes, so it wasn't long before I was on site and ready to pull in some decent shots. Palace Green and the adjacent Durham Castle were quiet areas, for a change - they're usually busy parts of the City Centre, but I wasn't complaining.

I took up position at the front of Durham Cathedral, near the gravestones, before I took my first shots. Didn't hang around for long though and disappeared into the building, which was also very quiet, give or take the odd visitor or two. It was then that I passed through the Cathedral into The Cloisters, where the monks dormitories and Chapter House can be found. Bright lights cast shadows across the walls of the Cloisters, which presented an ideal photo opportunity, shown here in my second shot.

After leaving Durham Cathedral I headed over to the nearby Durham Castle, which was illuminated and drawing me in like a moth to bright light. Another focal point of Durham City Centre, especially at night, and given more time I would have photographed from inside the castle walls. Quite pleased with this third shot though, which is a good example of a castle that has stood the test of time - a building that will be around for many more years to come. The Tawny Owl that roosted on the branches above me would have made a decent shot too, so I must get my act together and buy a 300mm telephoto job. Can't be missing out on shots like that again. More shots from this visit can be seen in my Durham Cathedral Gallery on my site at ashleycorr.com.

More blogging to come, including some 'Old' photo's from the ACP archives. I've been raking through a ton of shots that were taken down the years and I'll be uploading a selection of them right here on my Blog. It will be a retrospective visit to places and events that I photographed
before I started my blog page 18 months ago. Some of my archive stuff dates back to the 80's, a time of big hair and silly clothes, amongst other things. I'll be on a few of these shots myself, which will guarantee a good laugh, he he! So hang around, I'll be starting my new RETRO series in the next few days.
In the meantime, thanks for visiting,
Ash