Sunday 2 January 2011

Last Shots Of The Decade!

2010 came to a close and I was in the city of York once again, just like last New Year's Eve. A part of the afternoon was set aside for another visit to York Minster, which is a photographer's dream. The interior achitechture is every bit as stunning as the exterior, plus there was the added bonus of staying warm indoors! A typical winter day outside, so a few layers kept the cold at bay once again. I still had my entrance ticket from last year in my camera bag, so I dodged the £8 entrance fee as the ticket ensured free entry for a full year. Just one day left on my ticket, so in I went.

Now, this is one venue that I couldn't wait to visit again, especially as I was fully equipped with my new Canon wide-angle lens. This lens is tailor made for places like this, so I wasted no time in putting it to the test. I kicked off proceedings by setting my gear up in the Nave, next to the main doors. Out came the Manfrotto tripod, followed by the attachable ball head grip. I set up the 7D and got to grips with the settings before running off a few test shots using the remote control. The lens was right back on 10mm, super wide mode, giving an excellent preview through the viewfinder. There were a few people walking past now and again, but this didn't affect the finished shot, provided they kept on the move.

The lens pulled in some great shots, around thirty in total, which were quite different from the last lot I took in York Minster. With columns at every turn I was expecting some distortion when using the super wide-angle setting, but none was present and the shots couldn't have been better, to be honest.

Just how this place was crafted all those centuries ago is anyone's guess. Who needs modern technology? Naturally, any photographs taken in this building will be packed with detail, and the shots I've uploaded here are no exception. To say each shot is 'Very busy' is an understatement. I was very pleased with these shots as they succeed, in some small way, in demonstrating the sheer scale of the cathedral. The size and ornate detail of the interior is quite awe-inspiring. For me, the best thing about York Minster is that photography is allowed inside. Many churches and cathedrals hold a strict NO PHOTOGRAPHY policy, which is understandable, especially during service hours, but for me this is a perfect opportunity to capture and archive York Minster in photographic form. You just never get sick of looking at this type of photograph. Of course, there's so much to see in the Minster and I feel that I've merely 'Scratched the surface' during this recent visit. I dare say I'll be back quite soon, to explore the Chapter House and other area's of the Cathedral that I never got to see. Who knows, I might even have a dodge up the tower!

Ash
(Click an image to reveal extra large version)