Monday 10 January 2011

From Freezing Cold To Red Hot

Hello again pop-pickers!
Last night I trudged up Penshaw Hill to take some low-light shots of the Monument with my Canon 7D and wide-angle lens. The new lens got a run out at the same location recently, but that was in broad daylight.

The steep steps on the hill were covered in ice so I walked up the grass verge instead, not wanting to go 'Arse over tit' like the last time I was there. During the climb, I only stopped for breath on twelve occasions, which is a record these days, he he. Glad to reach the summit, I stopped for a few minutes and caught my breath back, whilst taking in the view. Another photographer passed me, saying 'Allreet mate' as he went. A Nikon user, by the look of things.

I set my gear up and raked in the side pocket of my bag for the remote control unit. Silly bugger has left it in the house, hasn't he! Oh well, self-timer here I come...six and two three's. Running off a dozen frames or so, I quickly packed up and headed back down the hill. I was bloody numb from head to toe!!!! Was it all worth it, I asked myself. Seems like I got some decent shots, so maybe it was worth it after all.

Back into the car and off to collect my pre-ordered Indian takeaway from nearby Shiney Row. Soon back in the house and sat down with Chicken Vindaloo, plus all the trimmings. From being half frozen I was now sweating profusely. Jesus H - maybe I shoulda' played safe and opted for a Kurma instead, he he.

As I write this blog entry, the morning after, I'm still suffering. Aye, it feels like someone has given my backside the 'Once Over' with a frickin' blowtorch!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I hope you like the photo. Must dash, another 'One foot plunge' beckons!

Ash