Tuesday 7 December 2010

Snowfall - Penshaw Hill (Part 1)

It's been almost two weeks since the first Snowfall of Winter 2010, and there's been no let-up since. Apparently, the last time we had snow as early as November was seventeen years ago, but I bet it wasn't as consistent back then as it has been this year. Snow has been falling almost daily since the last week of November and we've had almost two feet of it up until today, 7th December. Due to printing and delivery commitments at this busy time of year I haven't had many opportunities to get out in the snow with my camera. Mind you, I always try to arrange some 'Time out' between work and family commitments, and I did manage to get some photography in a few days ago. As expected, the local roads were awful and access routes to places I wanted to photograph were temporarily out of bounds, so I decided to play safe and stay much nearer to home.

Yesterday I delivered some stock to Penshaw Garden Centre & Tea Rooms and returned to my car, grabbed my gear and headed towards Penshaw Hill. There were lots of people sledging down the hill and the cattle that were grazing nearby looked totally bemused. Ten minutes in and I wasn't exactly amused me'sel - me feet were like blocks of ice - maybe next time I'll not wear slippers!!

The snow was atleast a foot deep as I trudged a recently unused path up the hill. It was heavy going. I went over on my arse once or twice in pursuit of the summit, but it was worth it in the end. About two-thirds of the way up the path I entered a small wooded area, with thick snow on every branch in front of me. It was very picturesque. The sky was clear blue and ideal for the camera. Time to start photographing!

Once I reached the top of the path, I headed down an offshoot that led me round the back of Penshaw Hill until I emerged from the woods and made my way towards Penshaw Monument. From the top of the hill, just off the Monument, there were great panoramic views of the icy vista in front of me. It was a clear day and I could see for miles, with hundreds of snow covered rooftops across Penshaw and Washington. I stood for a short while and took in the view. By this time I had a two inch icicle hangin' from me sneck, so it was snapped off and discarded in the snow below, he he. Time to get moving...

I could see my car parked on the road at the bottom of the hill so I walked down the steps towards it, passing the sledgers en route. Nearly went on my arse again, a few times, but counter balanced the fall to avoid embarrassment in front of the masses. After a dodgy ten minute slow walk down the steps (walking like Bambi on ice) I was safely back to the car, so in I went. The heaters were blasting in a vain attempt to warm me through. I got there eventually.

Anyway, here is two more photo's from my freezing adventure in the field. Cheers!
Ash (still bloody freezing)