Tuesday 6 July 2010

Red Carpet Treatment

No, I wasn't invited to a film premiere in Leicester Square - I was knee deep in poppies in Houghton-Le-Spring! Worlds apart I know, but I've never come across a field with so many poppies growing, and it was right on my doorstep.

It was hard not to notice the sea of red when dropping down Houghton Cut on the A690. Unfortunately the field, which is situated just off the dual carraigeway between Houghton and Rainton Gate, didn't have anything of interest surrounding it. Penshaw Monument sat in the distance and how I wished it was a lot nearer, like...right next to the poppy field. I've sold many photographs of Penshaw Monument recently - the best seller had poppies in the foreground. That shot was taken three years ago but the farmer hasn't planted rape seed since then so I'll just have to hang fire until he gets his arse into gear.

It was a very hot day and the sky wasn't doing much to help the shots. Sometimes when it's too hot the blue sky appears to be a light shade of grey. Never mind, grab what thee can, lad!

A rogue poppy stuck out like sore thumb and ended up being the subject of a few frames, as you can see here. That's about it folks. There's only so much to say regarding a poppy field on a hot day, but there ya go. Nice photogenic flowers though.

Ash