Tuesday 23 March 2010

Newcastle Quayside

It's been at least a year since my last visit to Newcastle Quayside. This place is one of my favourite haunts for low-light photography - there's so much to capture. Inevitably I was drawn to one of the focal points of the location, the Millennium Bridge, or Blinking Eye as it also known.

This time around things were very different. I had a Canon 7D to play with, not the Nikon D80 which had served me so well for so long. With a battery grip attached I knew I needed to upgrade my existing tripod to something more sturdy and durable. I bought another Manfrotto carbon fibre affair with a separate 222 joystick ball head grip. The new legs are the 055 XDB model and they are much lighter to lug around than they actually look.

I spent half an hour testing the Canon 7D, whilst getting to grips with the new pod at the same time. I'm very impressed with them both and can't wait for the summer when I'll be pushing them to the limit during more landscape photography. With a Hoya PRO Circular Polariser on order that's me finished with the spending for now. The time has come to get a return on what I've spent and what better way than to get back out there with the kit bag. I've spent too much time printing and framing lately that my photography has taken a back seat. Time to put that right, I reckon.

Stay tuned folks!
Ash