Saturday 2 January 2010

York Minster - New Years Eve

Our 2009/10 new year celebrations took place in York and we had a great time. My wife and I arrived at our hotel mid-afternoon and after dropping off the handbags and gladrags we made our way into York city centre for a drink and a bite to eat. We checked out a few pubs in preparation for a busy night on the town before my other half suggested a bit of retail therapy. Well, not being a one for the shops I suggested that we went our separate ways for an hour. This gave me a chance to spend some time photographing York Minster, while she spent lotsa money in the shops!

I remember visiting the Minster two years ago and it was free entry. Times have changed -there was now an admission charge of £6. Although I was a bit surprised I was more than happy to pay, especially as the annual upkeep of the place runs into hundreds of thousands of pounds, plus the fee guaranteed me unlimited visits to the Minster for twelve months. Another advantage, unlike Durham Cathedral, York Minster has a very relaxed policy regarding photography providing it is for personal use only. Great - a free run of the place - time to get cracking!

The admission charge must have sent a few people packing after entering the Minster as the floor was almost bare, apart for a small group who were on a guided tour. I set my gear up near the Central Tower, looking across towards the Rose Window. I was using a slow shutter, around 1 second, with an aperture of f13.
From there I headed towards the Great West Window, shooting from centre-aisle near The Nave. My one hour escape from shopping hell was over like a flash. I'd manged a dozen or so shots and it was now time to reconvene with my wife. I only photographed a fraction of what was on offer, but never mind, I'll save the rest until my next visit.

Thanks for reading. Until the next time...See ya!
Ash