Sunday 30 August 2009

Penshaw Monument, Sunderland

Penshaw Monument stands on the top of Penshaw Hill on the outskirts of Sunderland. It can be seen for miles around and is one of the North East's best known landmarks. It was built in 1844 and is located about three miles north-by-east of Houghton-Le-Spring, and "derives its name from the British Pen and the Saxon Shaw, a wood or thicket; thus Penshaw is the wooded hill." On the top of a lofty eminence, called Painshaw Hill, is a Grecian monument, erected to the memory of the late Right Hon. John Lambton.
I must have photographed this local icon hundreds of times, mostly at night when it is illuminated by powerful lights. As Penshaw Monument is Sunderland's most famous landmark I decided to use my photographs of it on business cards, invoices etc. It has been my logo since 2003 and will remain so for many years to come.
Today it was quite windy at the summit of Penshaw Hill. There were a few people about but I managed to get some shots when they disappeared round the back of the monument. The dark clouds above suggested rain was on its way and within a few minutes it came down quite heavily.
It's been at least a month since I was here for some night photography - I'll get myself back up there soon and let you know how I got on. Thanks.
Ash